OUS Home page OUS Index page OUS Contacts page
Top Navigation image map
OUS Logo

Joint Boards Articulation Commission

Meeting Summary Notes for April 14, 2004


Oregon Institute of Technology-Metro Center
Portland, OR 

Members Present
Dave Phillips, Clatsop Community College, Chair
Jim Arnold, Oregon University System
Mike Corcoran, Southern Oregon University
Agnes Hoffman, Portland State University
Craig Kolins, Portland Community College
Karen Sprague, University of Oregon
Glenda Tepper, Clackamas Community College
Mark Wahlers, Concordia University
Ed Watson, Linn-Benton Community College
Elaine Yandle-Roth, Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development

Dave Phillips called the meeting to order at 10:20 a.m.

1. Introductions, Announcements, Reminders

Jim Arnold reminded everyone that there will be a group photo taken during the lunch break.

2. Meeting Notes from March 16, 2004

Karen Sprague suggested some minor revisions for the second paragraph of the write-up for agenda item #3. The meeting notes from March 2004 were then approved as amended. (These changes were made to the web version of the minutes on April 20, 2004.)

3. The General Education Core Initiative

Phillips acknowledged the work of Karen Sprague in drafting the document Proposal for Transferable General Education Core Certificate. This document was the sole agenda item for the special JBAC conference-call meeting held on March 30, 2004, and the revised version of the proposal arising from that meeting was then forwarded to Gretchen Shuette and the Board of Higher Education Workgroup on Excellence in Delivery and Productivity in time for their last meeting, held at OHSU on April 1st. Sprague, Yandle-Roth and others offered their perspectives on the progress of the Board workgroup.

Phillips noted that the next step for this proposal would be for the Student Transfer Committee (STC) to conduct a work session on this topic and forward any recommendations back to the JBAC. The next STC meeting will be held on April 29th at the PCC SE Center.

Phillips will take this proposal to the meeting of the Council of Instructional Administrators on May 13-14 in Bend. John Miller will be charged with taking the proposal to the OUS Academic Council. Tepper will share the proposal with participants at the admissions/registrars conference (OrACRAO) in early May.

Action: Further work on the draft proposal is delegated to the Student Transfer Committee -- and the other groups named above will be consulted as the process unfolds.

4. Report of JBAC Presentation to the OUS Interinstitutional Faculty Senate

Tepper and Arnold reported on the presentation they made on April 9th to the OUS Interinstitutional Faculty Senate (IFS), held at the UO.  Arnold first presented a brief history of, and introduction to, the work of the JBAC. Tepper discussed some of the more current issues, including the recent proposal for the development of a statewide general education transferable core curriculum. Most of the IFS members were unacquainted with the JBAC and recent initiatives. Tepper and Arnold agreed that this was an excellent opportunity to introduce the general education proposal to faculty, even though the initial reaction of the IFS was, at best, mixed.

Action: None required. 

5. Curriculum Change Notification Website Prototype

Corcoran reported on progress toward the establishment of a centralized curriculum change website. He indicated that the University of Oregon has already established such a web page and could be connected to a centralized website at any point. The UO has developed their own format, and, of course that is acceptable as long as the recommended information is included. The biggest need for this information is at the community colleges, and the number of course changes per term and per year are numerous. Perhaps Elaine could encourage and remind community college campuses of this effort, and maybe CCWD could take the lead in implementing this when her replacement is hired? 

The question was asked about what exactly IS a course modification? It's probably up to each campus to define for themselves, but it would seem at a minimum that if the course number and/or title were changed, and/or the content, that would qualify as a course modification.

For this to be a successful project, the individual campus data must be current and complete.

Action: Phillips will include this item on the agenda for CIA. Tepper will take this to the OrACRAO conference. Tepper and Kolins will take this to CSSA. This is a periodic agenda item for the OUS registrars, through Corcoran. CCWD may provide leadership on this initiative, given the uncertainty of the Chancellor's Office ability to staff the JBAC and maintain the website in the future.

6. Status of Reading Course Transferability Issues

Yandle-Roth reported that there has been no progress on this issue since the last report. 

Action: None required.

7. The Future of JBAC: Membership and Other Issues

The terms of Phillips, Tepper, Sprague and Wahlers are expiring this June.

Given the recent developments in the proposed changes in the OUS Chancellor's Office, including the elimination of Academic Affairs staff (that would include OUS staff support for the JBAC), the JBAC will compose a letter expressing concerns about how the work of the JBAC will proceed without OUS support.  

Action: Phillips and Yandle-Roth will draft a letter and distribute to the JBAC Listserv for reaction and suggestions from members.

9. Adjourn

Everyone said goodbye and thank you to Dave Phillips for many years of service. Phillips indicated that he has enjoyed working with the JBAC and Transfer Committee over the years on behalf of Oregon's students.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 p.m.

JBAC meetings for the remainder of the year are:

Date Time Place
May 18, 2004 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Conference Call
June 8, 2004 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Conference Call

 

 

Prepared by Jim Arnold
OUS Academic Affairs
April  26, 2004
URL: http://www.ous.edu/aca/4-14-04.htm

Page Top


[ OUS HOME ]    [ ADVANCED SEARCH ]    [ OUS INDEX ]    [ CONTACTS ]