Joint Boards Articulation Commission

 

Meeting Summary Notes

April 16, 2003

Conference Call

 

Members Present

Mary Kay Tetreault, Portland State University, Chair
Jim Arnold, Oregon University System
Liz Goulard, Chemeketa Community College
Michele Sandlin, Oregon State University
Karen Sprague, University of Oregon
Glenda Tepper, Clackamas Community College
Mark Wahlers, Concordia University
Elaine Yandle-Roth, Community Colleges and Workforce Development

Mary Kay Tetreault called the meeting to order at 9:07 a.m. and Jim Arnold confirmed those participating in the call.

1. Announcements and Suggestions for the Agenda

Jim Arnold addressed three topics: conference-call arrangements; lunch arrangements for the June meeting; and spam E-mail. (1) Conference-call accommodations have been researched and revised. The arrangement utilized today is through a “bridge” at Oregon State University, features a toll-free number, is the most cost-efficient in terms of overall public-dollar resources, and is being paid for by the Chancellor’s Office and the Commissioner’s Office. (2) Lunch arrangements for the June in-person meeting at OIT Metro will proceed as previously announced: members will be asked to bring exact change to pay for their own lunch, which Arnold will order on members’ behalf. (3) Finally, the JBAC Listserv is now “closed” to all postings except from members, and then only from the E-mail account listed as their address on the list. This was done to eliminate the increasing number of spam E-mails experienced by members.

Two additional topics were suggested for the agenda: (1) HB 2817 (Gouldard) and (2) SB 870 (Arnold).

2. Minutes of the February 19, 2003, Meeting

The minutes of the February 2003 meeting were discussed. It was requested that title of item number 4 from that meeting be changed to: “Variability of General Education Requirements.” (Note: the web version of the minutes was so changed on April 17, 2003). Issue was taken with the description of the general education discussion from February 19th meeting in that it did not include history or context for the discussion, nor did it reflect the biases of the presenter. Discussion of meeting summary notes (in general) included the suggestions that the minutes appear in more of an outline form, with a format to include: (1) topic, (2) discussion, (3) action, (4) conclusion (for each agenda item). The final decision was to conclude each agenda item with the designation of “ Action: …. ” to be taken, when appropriate.

Action: Arnold will begin including the “Action” designation at the conclusion of items in the minutes.

3. Membership Review

Arnold verified that OUS members Tetreault, Sandlin, and Shelton have terms that are expiring in June, and the community college members whose terms are expiring are Bell and Goulard. Yandle-Roth noted that Vickie Fleming will be leaving the group as well, and a replacement is being sought from ODE. Yandle-Roth is responsible for forwarding recommendations to the Commissioner for next year’s appointments, and Arnold will consult with Vice Chancellor Clark on possible recommendations for OUS members; subsequent recommendations will be made to the Chancellor.

Action: Arnold and Yandle-Roth will follow up on suggestions for possible replacement members.

4. AS/OT-Bus Update

Yandle-Roth reported that the AS/OT-Bus degree is up for final consideration and action by the State Board of Education this coming Friday. During the information session on the proposed degree at last month’s Board meeting, Board members were enthusiastically supportive -- so approval at this meeting is assumed. After Board approval, colleges will be able to submit their degree plans for approval by the Board at any time. We believe that Mt. Hood Community College and Clackamas Community College will be implementing this degree very soon, perhaps as early as this summer. Once the Board of Education has approved the degree, Arnold will take this information to the Board of Higher Education as an information item. Sandlin requested that Arnold also provide the latest information about this degree to OUS admission officers at the next ICAR (Interinstitutional Committee on Admission and Recruitment) meeting on May 27th. Goulard indicated that Chemeketa Community College will also implement this degree, but may wait until next year.

Action: Arnold will report on the AS/OT-Bus degree approval by the Board of Education to (1) the Board of Higher Education and (2) ICAR.

5. Report: “The First Year: Student Performance on 10th Grade Benchmark Standards and Subsequent Performance in the First Year of College”

Prior to the meeting, Yandle-Roth furnished the group with a PowerPoint presentation (http://www.ous.edu/aca/FrstYrRpt.ppt), and a PDF version (http://www.ous.edu/news/FullReport.pdf) of a report recently completed by OUS, CCWD, and ODE. This study relates scores on students’ 10th grade benchmark tests (CIM) to freshman-year academic performance (in terms of GPA) at OUS institutions and community college campuses. In all cases, for all disciplinary areas examined, the better the student performance on benchmark tests, the better the performance in postsecondary efforts. This is the first time a study such as this had been performed (anywhere), and provides a validation for the process. For at least this one year cohort of students, the benchmark tests are as predictive of college success as is the SAT.

Sandlin observed that this will be helpful in terms of enrollment management efforts at OUS campuses.

Sprague inquired about the evidence of improvement of performance in high schools. Yandle-Roth responded that student performance information is readily available on the ODE web site, and shows consistent improvement over time. However, these data compare current student performance with students in the same school for previous years only (no “control group” data are available). No specific evidence has been presented as far as the “effectiveness of the CIM.” We have not been attempting to “test the test” but, rather, to evaluate the effectiveness of instruction. This information is helpful in determining strengths/weaknesses in student performance; this information is diagnostic so that focus may be provided for instructional efforts.

Action: None required.

6. Discussion: “Fixing” The AA/OT

Arnold indicated that the possible discussion points listed on the agenda (“recommending a mandate” and “transferable general education core”) regarding this item are ones listed in the “Fixing the AA/OT” report, a document requested by the JBAC at the December 2002 meeting and delivered by Arnold at the February 2002 meeting. Some resistance was expressed to both the title of the report (which may imply that the AA/OT is “broken”) and the mentions of both a Joint Boards “mandate” and a “transferable general education core.” Some confusion was apparent about whether or not the “possible solutions” listed in the report were actually recommendations. Arnold assured the group that they were not presented as recommendations, or even suggestions; the topics so listed were merely ones that had, at some point or another, emerged in previous discussions about the AA/OT.

Goulard mentioned that the “possible solutions” listed in the report, while controversial, may have some merit. For example, community colleges, in these economic times, may have the need to develop a “new product line” in terms of a transferable general education core curriculum. Community colleges are very pressed for resources, and there is still is the desire to satisfactorily meet students’ needs within the current resource constraints. So, while the “Fixing the AA/OT” report may be a somewhat provocative document, it provides a good focus for discussion purposes, which is exactly what was asked for by the group. The Council of Instructional Administrators had a spirited discussion, at their last meeting, regarding the proposal for a transferable general education core, for example. The community colleges may be willing to take a look at how to do some things differently.

Tepper observed that what we are trying to do is serve students, and, at least in terms of the discussion at Clackamas Community College, the “Fixing the AA/OT” document has been a big help in facilitating the dialogue. Clackamas is now engaging in serious talks about the possibility of eliminating their sequence requirements for the AA/OT.

Action: Arnold is producing another policy document describing what other states are doing with regard to the transferable general education core issue. He will have a draft of this available by the time the Student Transfer Committee meets on May 21st.

7. Additional Topics

Goulard indicated that HB 2817 is under consideration by the House Education Committee. It has had one hearing. This bill would create an “Oregon Post-Secondary Education Council Task Force” for the purpose of increasing coordination among the post-secondary sectors, including the private colleges and universities and proprietary schools. It appears to make the assumption that we’re not working together already. The Oregon Community College Association is attempting to get this billed stopped, or at least amended. The bill appears to still have life, however. The creation of such a council would likely impact the work of JBAC.

Arnold spoke about SB 870. This bill directs Eastern Oregon University, Treasure Valley Community College, and Blue Mountain Community College to start developing a plan for conversion to the semester system by January 1, 2004, and then implement that plan by the 2005-06 academic year. The bill has passed out of Senate Education and may be passed by the Senate today. It will resurface in House Education, where OUS will be working with the community colleges to, at the very least, strike the implementation phase.

Action: None required by JBAC members, though monitoring of these bills is advised.

8. Meeting Schedule and Adjourn

The next meeting will be a conference call in May. The meeting was adjourned at 10:11 a.m.

 

The remaining meetings for the year are as follows:
May 14, 2003                        9:00 - 11:00 Conference Call
June 11, 2003                       10:00 - 2:00 at OIT Metro

 

 

Prepared by Jim Arnold
OUS Academic Affairs
April 17, 2003

http://www.ous.edu/aca/4-16-03.htm